Are H4 Visa Holders Allowed to Work in the US?

H4 visa holders are the spouses and children of H1B visa holders who are authorized to work in the United States.

However, H4 visa holders were not allowed to work in the U.S. until 2015.

In May 2015, the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) started issuing Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) to eligible H4 visa holders.

H4 Visa
Are H4 Visa Holders Allowed to Work in the US? | photo courtesy | Facebook


This means that H4 visa holders can now legally work in the US as long as their H1B visa holder spouse is still working in the US.

Eligibility Requirements for H4 EAD

To be eligible for an H4 EAD, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be the spouse or child (under 21 years old) of an H1B visa holder who is currently working in the US.
  • Your H1B visa-holder spouse must be invalid, have lawful status, and must not have violated the terms of their visa.
  • You must not have a criminal record that would make you inadmissible to the US.
  • You must pay the filing fees for the H4 EAD application.

How to Apply for an H4 EAD

To apply for an H4 EAD, you must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

You can file the form online or by mail. The filing fee is currently $410.

Once you have filed your application, USCIS will review it and decide whether to approve or deny it.

The processing time for H4 EAD applications can vary, but it is typically several months.

Benefits of Having an H4 EAD

There are several benefits to having an H4 EAD.

  • It allows you to legally work in the US, which can help you support yourself and your family.
  • It can give you valuable work experience, which can help you advance your career.
  • It can make it easier for you to obtain a green card.


If you are the spouse or child of an H1B visa holder, you may be eligible for an H4 EAD.

This document allows you to legally work in the US, which can have many benefits for you and your family.

If you are interested in applying for an H4 EAD, you should contact an immigration lawyer to discuss your eligibility and the application process.

Leave a Comment