How to Change B1 or B2 Visa to Work Visa: A Complete Guide

How to Change B1 or B2 Visa to Work Visa
How to Change B1 or B2 Visa to Work Visa


If you’re a foreign national aspiring to work in the United States, you might be wondering about the process of transitioning from a B1 or B2 visa to a work visa.

A B1 or B2 visa is a temporary permit that grants access to the U.S. for business or tourism, excluding employment or academic pursuits.

Conversely, a work visa, a type of nonimmigrant visa, permits you to work for a specific U.S. employer within a defined time frame.

Work visas, such as H-1B, L-1, O-1, and TN, come in various categories, contingent on your occupation, qualifications, and nationality.

Each work visa category possesses its distinct requisites and protocols, with certain ones subject to annual limits and selection lotteries.

This article will elucidate the procedure for changing your B1 B2 visa into a work visa. Furthermore, it will delve into the advantages and disadvantages of such a change, along with exploring alternative paths in case a change is unattainable.

An Overview of B-1 and B-2 Visas

A B-1 visa is issued to those engaging in commercial or professional business activities in the United States, while a B-2 visa is meant for individuals temporarily visiting the U.S. for leisure, vacation, or pleasure.

Both visa types generally hold a validity of up to six months, extendable by another six months upon approval by USCIS.

Holders of B-1 and B-2 visas are prohibited from seeking employment or pursuing academic studies within the U.S.

However, if they meet specific criteria, their employer can file a petition for a change of status to a work visa.

Prerequisites for an H-1B Visa

Among the most commonly sought-after work visas for foreign professionals is the H-1B visa.

This visa class empowers U.S. employers to hire foreign workers for specialized roles that mandate at least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a specific field.

The H-1B visa’s initial validity is three years, extendable for an additional three years, with certain exceptions.

To be eligible for an H-1B visa, the following conditions must be met:

  • Receive a job offer from a U.S. employer for a specialized position. Hold at least a bachelor’s degree relevant to the position.
  • Ensure your employer files Form I-129, the Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, with USCIS.
  • Facilitate your employer in obtaining a certified Labor Condition Application (LCA) from the Department of Labor (DOL).
  • Apply for an H-1B visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad, or request a change of status via USCIS if already present in the U.S.

Advantages and Disadvantages of H-1B visa

The H-1B visa boasts several advantages, including;

  1. its relatively straightforward criteria
  2. the possibility of residing in the U.S. for up to six years through extensions
  3. its high degree of portability.

Portability permits you to work full-time or part-time, switch jobs, or even work for multiple employers simultaneously.

Nevertheless, the H-1B visa is accompanied by certain drawbacks.

  1. Firstly, it’s subject to an annual cap of 65,000 visas per fiscal year, supplemented by an extra 20,000 visas for individuals with advanced degrees from U.S. institutions. Consequently, an annual lottery system is employed to select beneficiaries due to the high demand.
  2. Secondly, the visa hinges on employer sponsorship, implying that losing employment or having your petition withdrawn necessitates departing the U.S. or finding a new sponsor within 60 days.
  3. Lastly, the H-1B visa does not permit concurrent pursuit of permanent residency (green card) without jeopardizing your status.

Transitioning from B-1/B-2 to H-1B Status

While it’s feasible to change from B-2 to H-1B or from B-1 to H-1B from within the U.S., certain challenges may arise:

If an H-1B visa is unavailable at the moment, individuals often need to wait for an employer to petition for them during the H-1B lottery process, which generally takes place in the week commencing April 1st of each year.

However, exceptions apply if the individual had prior H-1B status or if a cap-exempt employer files the petition.

For those who entered the U.S. using a B-2 visa, proving the absence of preconceived intent to work is crucial.

Since the B-2 visa is tailored for leisure visits rather than work, USCIS might reject the change of status application if suspicions about hidden work motives arise.

To mitigate this, it’s advisable to wait at least 90 days after entering the U.S. on a B-2 visa before applying for an H-1B change of status.

If an individual’s B-1 or B-2 visa expires before H-1B petition approval, obtaining an H-1B visa from a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad might be necessary.

Notably, the change of status application does not automatically extend the validity of the B-1 or B-2 visa.

Yet, if the change of status application is filed before the visa expiration, the individual could remain in the U.S. pending a decision, as long as unauthorized activities are avoided.

Alternatives to Transforming B1 or B2 Visa into Work Visa

If converting a B1 or B2 visa to a work visa isn’t feasible, there are other legitimate avenues for working in the U.S. Some options include:

Exploring other types of work visas, such as L-1, O-1, TN, E-1, E-2, or E-3 visas, aligning with your qualifications and circumstances.

These visas possess distinct prerequisites and procedures, some of which are exempt from annual quotas or lotteries.

Nevertheless, they carry their limitations and challenges.

Pursuing an immigrant visa (green card) through avenues like family sponsorship, employment sponsorship, the diversity lottery, or other categories.

This route ensures permanent residency and work authorization in the U.S., detached from a specific employer or visa category.

However, this journey is often lengthy and intricate, with waiting times and quotas influenced by country of origin and preference category.

Opting for a student visa (F-1 or M-1) if full-time academic or vocational studies in the U.S. are of interest.

This visa category permits staying for the program’s duration, coupled with part-time on-campus or off-campus employment with authorization.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT) may also be available post-studies, providing up to 12 months (or 36 months for STEM majors) of work experience in the field.

Adherence to school and USCIS regulations is imperative.


Changing a B1 B2 visa into a work visa is a viable route for those aspiring to work in the U.S., though it’s not devoid of challenges.

Meeting the requisites and protocols of the targeted work visa is essential, with potential hurdles and uncertainties to navigate.

Consequently, meticulous research, potential consultation with immigration attorneys, and careful consideration of options are imperative before embarking on this endeavor.

Leave a Comment