How to Replace a Lost Naturalization Certificate

A naturalization certificate is a document that proves your U.S. citizenship if you were born outside the United States and became a citizen through the naturalization process.

Losing your naturalization certificate can be a stressful and frustrating experience, especially if you need it for travel, employment, or other purposes.

Fortunately, there are steps you can take to replace your lost naturalization certificate and get a new one as soon as possible.

How to Replace a Lost <yoastmark class=


In this article, we will explain how to replace a lost naturalization certificate, what documents you need, how much it costs, and how long it takes.

What is Form N-565?

Form N-565 is the application for a replacement naturalization or citizenship document.

You need to file this form with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) if you want to replace your lost naturalization certificate.

In addition, you can also use this form to request a replacement certificate if your original one was damaged, destroyed, or contained incorrect information due to a USCIS error.

You can file Form N-565 online or by mail, depending on your preference

What documents do I need to replace my lost naturalization certificate?

To replace your lost naturalization certificate, you need to provide the following documents along with your Form N-565:

  • A copy of your lost naturalization certificate, if you have one
  • A copy of your biographical page of your passport or other government-issued photo identification
  • Two passport-style photos with your name and A-number written on the back
  • A personal statement explaining how, when, and where you lost your naturalization certificate
  • Any supporting evidence of your loss, such as a police report, a fire report, or an affidavit
  • A check or money order for the filing fee of $555, payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

How long does it take to replace my lost naturalization certificate?

The processing time for replacing your lost naturalization card may vary depending on the USCIS office that handles your case, the volume of applications, and the complexity of your situation.

According to the USCIS website, the average processing time for Form N-565 as of April 2021 is 10.5 to 13 months.

However, this is only an estimate and not a guarantee.

You can check the status of your application online or by calling the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283.


Replacing your lost naturalization card is not a difficult process, but it does require some patience and preparation.

You need to file Form N-565 with the USCIS, provide the necessary documents and evidence, and pay the filing fee of $555.

Additionally, You can expect to receive your replacement certificate within 10.5 to 13 months, depending on the USCIS processing time.

Once you have your new certificate, you should keep it in a safe and secure place to avoid losing it again.

Leave a Comment