Where to Send Fiance Visa Application: A Complete Guide

If you are a U.S. citizen who wants to bring your foreign fiance to the United States in order to get married, you will need to apply for a K-1 fiance visa.

This is a temporary visa that allows your fiance to enter the U.S. and marry you within 90 days of arrival.

After you get married, your spouse can apply for a green card and become a permanent resident.

But where do you send your fiance visa application?

And what are the steps and requirements involved in the process?

Where to Send Fiance Visa Application
Where to Send Fiance Visa Application | photo courtesy | Visa Guide


In this article, we will answer these questions and provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to apply for a fiance visa.

Step 1: File Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance

To apply for a fiance visa, the first step is to fill out Form I-129F, also known as the Petition for Alien Fiance.

You will need to file this form with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to establish your relationship and request a K-1 visa for your foreign fiance to apply to come to the United States.

There are two ways to file Form I-129F: either online or by mail. When filing online, you will have to create an account on the USCIS website and follow the instructions.

On the other hand, when filing by mail, you will have to send your completed form and supporting documents to the USCIS lockbox facility that serves your area.

You can find the address of the lockbox facility on the USCIS website.

The filing fee for Form I-129F is $535, and you can pay it by check, money order, or credit card.

Additionally, you will have to provide evidence of your U.S. citizenship, such as a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or naturalization certificate.

You will also need to submit proof of your relationship with your fiance, such as photos, letters, emails, phone records, or travel receipts.

Lastly, you must prove that you have met your fiance in person within the last two years through passport stamps, boarding passes, or hotel reservations.

Step 2: Wait for USCIS Approval and NVC Case Number

After you file Form I-129F, USCIS will review your petition and send you a receipt notice with a tracking number.

You can use this number to check the status of your case online or by phone.

The processing time for Form I-129F can vary depending on the workload of USCIS, but it usually takes between 6 and 9 months.

If USCIS approves your petition, they will send you an approval notice and forward your case to the Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC).

The NVC will assign a case number and an invoice ID number to your case and send you a notification letter with these numbers.

You will need these numbers to complete the next steps of the process.

Step 3: Apply for a K-1 Visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate

The next step in the fiance visa process is to apply for a K-1 visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate that serves your fiance’s country of residence.

  • You will need to follow the instructions on the NVC notification letter and the embassy or consulate website to complete this step.
  • You will need to fill out Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, on the Department of State website and print the confirmation page.
  • You will also need to pay the visa application fee of $265 online or at a designated bank in your fiance’s country.
  • You will then need to schedule an interview appointment at the embassy or consulate and gather the required documents for the interview.

The documents you will need for the interview include:

  • Your passport
  • Your birth certificate
  • Your police clearance certificate from any country where you have lived for more than six months since you were 16
  • Your medical examination report from an authorized physician
  • Your proof of financial support from your U.S. citizen sponsor, such as Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, tax returns, bank statements, or employment letters
  • Your proof of relationship with your U.S. citizen sponsor, such as photos, letters, emails, phone records, or travel receipts
  • Your proof that you have met in person within the last two years, such as passport stamps, boarding passes, or hotel reservations
  • Two passport-sized photos

You should bring the original documents and one copy of each document to the interview.

You should also bring any documents that show any changes in your personal information since you filed Form I-129F.

such as name changes, divorces, or deaths.

Step 4: Enter the U.S. and Get Married

If the consular officer approves your K-1 visa application, they will stamp your passport with a visa that is valid for six months and allows one entry into the U.S.

Upon approval of your K-1 visa application, you will be provided with a sealed packet containing your documents. It’s imperative that you refrain from opening this packet until you reach a U.S. port of entry.

If you do not marry within 90 days, you will have to leave the U.S. or face possible deportation.

After you get married, you can apply for a green card and become a permanent resident.

You will need to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with USCIS and pay the filing fee of $1,225.

You will also need to submit evidence of your marriage, such as your marriage certificate, joint bank accounts, or joint leases.

USCIS will review your application and schedule an interview with you and your spouse.

If USCIS approves your application, they will issue you a green card that is valid for two years.


The process of applying for a fiance visa is lengthy and complicated, and it requires careful planning and preparation.

You will need to file multiple forms, pay various fees, and provide a range of documents to demonstrate your eligibility and relationship.

Additionally, you will have to wait several months for your petition and visa application to be approved.

However, by following the steps and requirements outlined in this guide, you can bring your fiance to the United States and begin your married life together.

Leave a Comment